#GOLDENDINAGYANG: CLASSES in all levels of public schools in Iloilo City are suspended today, Jan 12, 2018, starting 12 p.m. for the ILOILO DINAGYANG FESTIVAL 2018 – OPENING SALVO
Mayor Jose Espinosa III ordered the suspension through Executive Order No. 7 he signed Thursday afternoon.
The suspension of classes, Espinosa said, is necessary as the city holds the Dinagyang Festival 2018 Opening Salvo, which officially kicks off the city’s most-awaited tourism event.
With major roads in the city to be used as parade routes for 10 Ati-ati performing tribes, Espinosa anticipated the inconvenience the students might experience with road closures.
“As a result of road closures, students have a hard time going to and from their respective schools, and even leave them with no choice but to walk a number of kilometers just to reach their schools and homes,” he said.
Ten tribes are set to perform in today’s Opening Salvo:
- Tribu Paghidaet of LaPaz National High School;
- Tribu Panayanon of Iloilo City National High School;
- Tribu Pan-ay of Fort San Pedro National High School;
- defending champion Tribu Salognon of Jaro National High School;
- Tribu Buntatalanit of Baranga Lanit and Buntatala;
- Tribu Dagatnon of Ramon Avancena National High School;
- Tribu Ilonganon of Jalandoni Memorial National High School;
- Tribu Obreros of Barrio Obrero National High School;
- Tribu Amihan of Mandurriao National High School; and
- Tribu Tapaznon of Tapaz, Capiz.
The Opening Salvo starts 2 p.m., but the roads will be closed starting 1 p.m.
Sign up to GET Regular Tips & Updates - enter your email below
Each tribe is given 5 minutes to perform in 5 judging areas – Iloilo Freedom Grandstand, Iloilo Provincial Capitol, Delgado-Mabini, Quezon-Ledesma, and Ma. Clara.
Each judging area will have two tribes performing at the same time.
The parade will pass through Mapa St. to Freedom Grandstand/JM Basa St to F Caram Avenue (Iloilo Provincial Capitol), turn left to Gen. Luna St., turn left to Mabini St., turn left to Delgado St., turn right to Quezon St., turn left to Ledesma St., turn right to Iznart St., turn left to Rizal St. for the final performance area.